The United States is the leader in obesity levels around the world, with an estimated 72% of the population overweight or obese as a direct result of eating processed foods. Thankfully, more and more Americans are finally waking up to the reality of whole foods and organic produce and are beginning to pursue diet plans such as the Mediterranean diet, which focused on whole foods rather than processed poisons.
More than 70% of the protein and nutrients in the Mediterranean diet are coming from a natural, raw sources. The other 30% is coming from fish, eggs and other products which, although they are whole foods, are nevertheless cooked in some manner to become edible. However, there are absolutely no artificial coloring additives or flavor additives or preservatives in the Mediterranean Diet.
Perhaps most difficult part of the Mediterranean diet that people in the United States have a hard time understanding is that since this is a whole food diet plan you might actually have to spend some time in the kitchen. Most people have become addicted to merely taking the wrapper off of something and shoving it in their mouths, but with the Mediterranean diet nothing is pre-packaged.
Thankfully, you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the kitchen to prepare Mediterranean diet recipes. Since the vast majority of the recipes within the diet plan are based on whole foods such as fruits and vegetables, everything is quick and simple and can be put together in a matter of just a few moments. The only time you might need to cook something is with fish, which still only takes around 15 minutes.
All you have to do if you need more proof about the power of the Mediterranean diet is to simply take a look at the people living in the Mediterranean region of the world. None of them are fat, none of them are suffering from diseases like diabetes, and they live significantly longer than their American counterparts. If you are looking for a whole foods diet plan, this is the first and last place you need to look.